If you are thinking about travelling abroad in the near future, car hire excess insurance is something you may wish to consider. we have already compared existing offers between insurers and this article will provide more in-depth information about one provide – CHEW Insurance, a company that has been established as a specialist travel intermediary to the UK travel market for over two decades.
What are the offers offered by Chew Insurance?
Car hire excess insurance is termed as optional insurance. It will cover you for the excess for which you may be liable in the event your hire car is stolen or damaged. Essentially, excess insurance is an extra insurance policy that will cover you against the excess charges.
1️⃣ UK and Europe car hire excess insurance
CHEW Insurance’s European cover provides essential cover for you and your travelling party when leasing a car in the United Kingdom or Europe.
CHEW Insurance’s policy offers many standard benefits, such as lost keys and misfuelling and even if you find yourself locked out of your vehicle. CHEW Insurance will also reimburse you for excess payments in the event of any damage caused by fire, theft, vandalism, also any damage to the windows, tyres, headlights, roof and undercarriage of your hire car, these items are often not covered by the hire company.
CHEW Insurance advertises its cover as allowing you time to enjoy your time on holiday, knowing you have adequate protection should the worst happen.
Optional extras included
|Personal accident cover
|Vehicle rental cancellation
|Postage (physical documents)
The cost of optional extras is the same for European and worldwide cover.
2️⃣ Worldwide car hire excess insurance
Excess Worldwide is an insurance policy from CHEW Insurance which protects you against high excess charges if there is an incident involving your hire car when driving in most countries across the world.
CHEW Insurance advises that annual, multi-trip car hire excess insurance is ideal for people who regularly travel outside Europe. Taking out CHEW Insurance allows you to avoid the excess charges and higher rental tariffs.
CHEW Insurance UK & Europe and Worldwide cover: Are there any other differences besides the duration?
No, the main difference is the cost for the duration.
|WORLDWIDE 31 DAYS
|WORLDWIDE 65 DAYS
Personal accident £4.80
Vehicle rental cancellation £8.17
Postage (physical documents) £2.00
How much does CHEW Insurance cost?
With CHEW Insurance, it is more cost-effective to take out either 7 days cover or 65 days – the maximum term length.
7 days, Worldwide cover costs £20.55
7 days, UK and Europe cover costs £12.45
What protections are included with CHEW Insurance?
A CHEW Insurance policy offers many benefits included as standard such as:
- Excess on damage and theft: up to £7,500 per claim or £10,000 per year
- Covers damage to the windows, undercarriage, roof, tyres and headlights not otherwise covered by damage waivers from car hire companies
- Towing costs associated with mechanical breakdown
- Drop Off: up to £300 in the event of being unable to return the vehicle
- Car Jacking: up to £1000 if you suffer from physical assault or theft
- Lost Keys: up to £500 per claim and £2000 per year for lost or stolen car keys
- Misfueling: up to £1000 per claim for wrong type of fuel
- Lock Out: up to £500 in the event of being locked out
- Additional drivers aged 21 to 85 can be added to the policy for NO EXTRA CHARGE
- Hotel and Travel Expenses: up to £150 for necessary accommodation following and accident
- Road Rage: up to £1000 resulting in physical injury
What is excluded?
CHEW Insurance excludes vehicles such as vans, campervans and motorbikes There are many other exclusions such as the use of the Rental Vehicle in violation of the terms of the Vehicle Rental Agreement.
- Claims caused by alcohol, drugs or substance abuse
- On a multi trip policy trips period longer than 31 / 65 consecutive days, as stated on the Certificate of Insurance
- Natural damage (e.g. wear & tear or from weather)
- The rental of vehicles where the value of the vehicle exceeds £60,000 or vehicles which are more than 10 years old or vehicles other than the
- Rental Vehicle as specified on the Car Rental Agreement and many more, full details of which can be found in your CHEW Insurance policy document.
Are CHEW Insurance customer reviews positive?
On Moneymaxim’s website, CHEW Insurance scores an 4.5 out of 5 and the reviews are generally positive.
One individual states that CHEW Insurance’s pricing structure is simple and clear and has saved money.
However, on TrustPilot, reviews are much less favourable and CHEW Insurance is rated as ‘Poor’ with only 2.7 out of 10.
The top CHEW Insurance review only has one star: “AVOID AVOID AVOID. Tried to make claim with them re a damaged hire car. Wriggled out of it saying UK advised against all but essential travel..! Car was damaged and I was insured. Their response. Hard luck. Sham service from a shill company”
It is important to do plenty of research before taking out a policy with any insurance provider, whether they are a long-established provider or a new company.
Is it possible to benefit from CHEW Insurance promotional codes?
Typing Chew Insurance Voucher Codes into Google reveals many results. The most common one seems to be offering 5% OFF CHEW Insurance Coupons & Promo Codes on www.whatisapromocode.com. It is unclear whether this is valid at the time of writing.
Voucher Cat promises an ascotnishing 75% discount on CHEW Insurance.
Do I need any prerequisites?
CHEW Insurance states that when hiring a car in the USA, Canada, the Caribbean, Central and South America, you are required to have CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) / LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) – covering damage, theft and loss of use of the rental vehicle.
Can I cancel my subscription to CHEW Insurance?
For CHEW Insurance annual multi-trip policies:
💡 If you made a claim before you were asked to cancel Your policy, no refund will be given for cancellations. If your CHEW Insurance policy has started and you have not made a claim and you wish to cancel the policy within 14 days of the date of purchase,
a full refund will be given. If you wish to cancel more than 14 days after purchasing the policy, no premium refund will be made.
Any refund will be paid by CHEW Insurance within 30 days of the date of your cancellation notice.
To make a cancellation request, please email CHEW Insurance at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Us at:
2b West Street
How to make a claim with CHEW Insurance?
⚠️ If you need to make claim:
- The Claims Department must be notified of any accident, proceeding or other event which may give rise to a claim
as soon as reasonably practicable. Delay in notifying Us may affect Our ability to pay a claim.
- You must co-operate with the company at all times and give the provider all the information and help We request;
- You must provide CHEW Insurance with the records and documents We request;
- You must not admit liability, negotiate or refuse any claim without CHEW Insurance’s written consent;
- CHEW Insurance is entitled to the control and settlement of all proceedings arising out of or in connection with your claim;
- Claims will not be paid in respect of expense to the extent that they are assumed, waived or paid by the Rental Company or its insurers.
Full details of how to notify CHEW Insurance of a claim are set out below.
In the event of a claim please contact the Claims Department
CHEW Insurance Claims
1 Victoria Street
Tel: +44 (0) 203 362 2430
You will need your policy number and will be asked to provide documentation to support your claim. It is important that You provide all documentation requested, as CHEW Insurance may be unable to process the claim until received.
- A copy of Your Vehicle Rental Agreement.
- A copy of Your CHEW Insurance Certificate of Insurance issued to You when You purchased this policy.
- Charge receipt for the rental (if separate from the Vehicle Rental Agreement).
- Copies of any invoices, receipts, or other documents confirming any amount You have paid in respect of the
incident for which You are claiming.
- A front and back copy of the driving licence of the person driving the Rental Vehicle involved in the accident (the
driver). You may also be asked for other forms of identification.
We may also require the following additional documents:
Page 11 of 12
- If the incident by law requires the attendance of the Police, We require an original copy of the Police Report (a
police report will be required if You are claiming for any theft, either of the vehicle or personal belongings).
- A copy of the Rental Company’s accident damage report.
- A copy of the Your credit card or bank statement showing payment of the damages claimed.
- If You are renting a vehicle in Your Home Area We will need proof of Your pre-booked accommodation for three
or more nights in a row. This applies to Annual multi-trip policies only.
Failure to follow these steps may delay or jeopardise the reimbursement of Your costs.
How to make a complaint?
⚠️ If you are unhappy with any aspect of the customer service received in relation to the policy purchase or received documentation, please contact:
The Customer Service Manager, The Medical Screening Company Ltd
Brookwood House, 2b West Street, Ewell Village, Epsom, Surrey KT17 1UU
Tel: 0208 770 2755, Email: email@example.com
If Your complaint relates to a claim please contact:
The Customer Relations Manager
1 Victoria Street
Tel: 0330 400 1283
Please state the nature of Your complaint, the policy reference and/or claim number/reference (if appropriate).
If after taking this action You are still unhappy with the response, you may refer it to the Financial Ombudsman
The Financial Ombudsman Service
Tel: 0800 023 4 567